Youssou N'Dour

Monday, February 7, 2011
One of the greatest treats of my first two weeks in Africa is the opportunity to see Youssou N'Dour in concert.  How could I pass that up?  (Especially for the american equivalent of $24.)  Funnily enough, most of the people there were Toubabs.  That suprised me, but talking to my host aunt the next day, we figured that the tickets were too expensive for most Senegalese to attend.  Plus, the show was at the Institut Francais, which in all honesty is basically the Toubab hub of Dakar.

Here are some of us ladies before the show started:















Our friend Youssou walks out onstage.  He was wearing one very shiny, classy-looking Boubou:

Yeah, we were in the third row.  I could see the little beads of sweat on our buddy Youssou's face.  Here is his friend playing a traditional drum:


We had qutie the fun night.  By the last few songs, I was incredibly tired.  I did find it funny how "African" the show was considering the audience.  Youssou kept alluding to the culture and pride of Dakar, when in fact only about 25 percent of the audience was probably from Dakar.  But overall, it was a fantastic performance. They also played "Seven Seconds" reggae style, which was an interesting touch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment