The amazing education system in west Africa

Thursday, February 24, 2011
Thanks to my big sister, Kelly, for getting on my case about not posting in over a week.  Either thankfully or unthankfully, nothing excessively interesting has happened since my last post.  As a result, I'll take this time to lightly discuss the disorganization of the education system.  My classes (both at WARC and the university) are canceled more often than not.

I should probably first explain how my classes here work.  I take three classes at the West African Research Center (WARC): Wolof, African Political Systems, and History of Islam.  I take two classes through the university's Foreign Student program: Dissertation and Civilisation Africaine.  All five of my classes are taught in French. 

I wanted to take some liberal arts classes at the university as well, but unfortunately, classes never really happen there.  Professors are not held accountable, and only about 1 of 10 classes on the course guide actually takes place.  It's the most disorganized system in the history of higher education.  Apparently, (since there are no classes) students do internet research on a desired topic and present a professor with a "summary" at the end of the semester.  Then they get credit.  This explains why African diplomas are not credible outside the continent.

So here is the first email I got last week from my program director:
"Students of the Faculty of Letters and Humanities at the Cheikh Anta Diop University in Dakar are threatening to strike if their scholarship money is not paid.  The students are seeking to negotiate the issue with university and government officials; a spokesman for the students said that if nothing is done by Tuesday, they will disrupt classes and university services and will take to the streets.

As always when traveling, and especially in the area around the University, watch ahead for signs of unrest – columns of smoke from burning tires and debris, and take an alternate route. Never try to force your way around or through a barricade, your vehicle will likely sustain damage, and you could be injured as well." 

Well guess what, those kids didn't get their scholarships.

This email was followed a few days ago by the following (in French, summarized roughly below):

Les enseignants de l'Universite(facultes et IFE) sont presentement en greve. J'espere que cette situation ne durera pas et les cours vont bientot reprendre. 
Si la greve devrait durer sur plus de deux ou trois semaines, des dispositions seront prises pour que les enseignements suivis a l'universite reprennent et soient transferes au WARC. Nous negocierons avec les differents professeurs pour qu'ils vous fassent les cours dans les locaux du WARC.
Je rappelle que quelle que soit la situation, tous les etudiants des study abroad programs ont la garantie de retourner aux Etats Unis a la fin de leur programme avec le total de leurs credits.
Le moment venu, Waly, Awa et Korka discuteront des arrangements appropries avec vous.
Merci

Well gosh, now it looks like the profs are striking too!  They apparently weren't happy that they weren't being paid, nor that the students were having their scholarships withheld as well.  So I may have to have all my classes switched to WARC, since I do kinda need credit from my study abroad experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment